Friday 3 September 2010

The TacoMac review


Now those of you that have known me for more than five seconds know that I don't succumb to hype very easily. Well, that all changed when I found out that Andi's favorite ATL restaurant was opening a location in South Park. I took the bait, hook, line and sinker. Result......

TacoMac is a regional chain, out of Atlanta, that serves Americanized Mexican food as well as your typical pub grub. They also host a very large beer selection with 140 taps and probably twice that amount in bottle. I have had at least 115 of the 140 beers that are on tap and more than 80% of the bottled goods. Quantity trumps quality, unfortunately, but that's okay because I'm not their target demographic. TacoMac is the perfect place for the beer novice to get his or her feet wet. From Founders to Corona, they have something that will appeal to all drinkers, me included.
This place is a sports bar to it's core. Large flat screen TV's hang from every available I-beam and I mean EVERY. It is sensory overload! You are "welcomed", more like accosted, by a gaggle of young hostesses, before you can get both feet in the door. I don't need to be yelled at when I walk into a restaurant, just say hello and sit me at a table. The "scenery" is best described as "not the Flying Saucer". Take from that what you will.
Then there is the food. Andi got the boneless wings which looked pretty damn tasty and I'm sure she would have enjoyed them, if she hadn't gotten heartburn halfway into our meal. No fault of the wings, mind you. I ordered the buffalo and blue cheese burger with fries. As soon as I ordered, our waitress asked if I wanted "that medium-well or well-done". I informed her that I would prefer medium and was told that "they don't do that". Fearing the worst, I let my order stand and was well surprised when my burger came out pink in the middle. I'm pretty sure it was an accident. The burger itself was of the frozen kind but of a respectable quality, the buffalo sauce had just the right amount of kick with a good BBQ flavor and the blue cheese was plentiful, strong and just plain good. The bun was more than acceptable, not too hard and not too soft, and it held up to the burger and toppings admirably.
Yes, I joined the beer club that they have as I assume that this place will be on heavy rotation. Plus it was free. The quality of the beer selection may not be on par with Duckworth's but the prices are fair, for both food and beer, the TV's are nice and I could easily see myself here, yelling at the US team as they fail miserably for the umpteenth time.

I have chosen the A - F scale for my reviews. Enjoy!

Beer: Quantity A
Quality B-
Food: Solid B+
Atmosphere: B
Bathrooms: A
Scenery: D
Parking: C
TV's: A++
Location: B

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment